Here’s a selection of things I’ve performed on, arranged and so on. Get in touch if you’d like a copy of any of the arrangements!
Performance — studio
- AJ Brown — charity Christmas single from a recent recording session, more to follow: Wrapped Up.
- LUU Big Band’s recent studio album, on which I played bass, is available to buy — below I’ve stitched together a few nice bassy bits:
- Demos recorded with George Shilling by the now-defunct Neon Kicks, with me playing synth and guitar: Starlet, Rewind.
- Recordings from Soundworks studio with Blues Armada. Here’s a couple of pre-release masters :
Performance — live/other
- Leeds University Big Band at North Sea 2012
- Recordings from George Millard‘s recital, featuring Steve Hanley, Aron Kyne, me, Matt Yardley, Ben Lowman, Jim Corry:
- A couple of Anthony Jackson’s basslines from the Michel Camilo big band, recorded on my phone in the kitchen:
- A live instrumental chart from the band’s recent joint gig with Liane Carroll:
- On tour in France with LUU Big Band
- Practice video of the introduction to Laurence Cottle/Nigel Hitchcock’s introduction to Cherokee:
- Rough live recordings from when me and George Millard went down to Sela Bar in Leeds for the weekly (Tuesdays) jam night. Thanks to the Luke Reddin-Williams, who’s drumming, for uploading these:
Arrangements and transcriptions
Vangelis ‘Memories of green’ small band arrangement (free!):
Example big band score extract:
A mixture of Sibelius exports and live recordings of things I’ve arranged or transcribed.
- Under the sea - orchestration for big band, original from The Little Mermaid. “Ariel, listen to me…”
- Old Soldiers – an arrangement for brass band of guitarist Chris Flegg’s composition. Chris commissioned this as a promotional piece for his music, and is distributing the score for free. Let him know if you’d like a copy.
- Bouncin’ with Bud (live) – LUUDB playing my arrangement of Bud Powell’s tune.
- Caravan – a big band arrangement of the standard, based on a 9/4 riff my friend Tom Varrall came up with.
- Baby on Board (live) – from that episode of The Simpsons where Homer was in a barbershop quartet. Arranged for big band and 4-part barbershop, performed by LUUDB and featuring the saxophone section on backing vocals.
- Fair Weather – Arrangement for big band of the Benny Golson tune, as played on Chet Baker’s ‘In New York’ album. The original is at and features a great tenor solo from Johnny Griffin.
- Jerusalem – Arrangement for big band of Elgar/Parry’s socialist hymn. Constructed at very short notice for LUU Dance Band’s tour of France in 2011, where one of the gigs fell on St George’s Day and this tune — and Land of Hope and Glory — were requested and forgotten about until a week before the tour. Re-exported to try out Sibelius 7 Sounds.
- Grandstand theme – transcription/arrangement for big band of the truly awesome theme tune from BBC’s Grandstand. Now sadly discontinued I believe. This was exported from Sibelius 7 using the new Sibelius 7 Sounds library.
- Wimbledon theme – transcription/arrangement for big band of the theme music from the BBC’s coverage of Wimbledon. This was exported from Sibelius 7 using the new Sibelius 7 Sounds library.