Brad Linde's Team Players album trailer. A selection of other recordings appears below.
Trained on piano and violin, John’s introduction to the bass came in the small university city of Durham. In Leeds, Washington DC and now London, his sight-reading, ear and distinctive sound have led to work from big bands and pit orchestras to jazz, pop and avant-garde. He has recently begun performing more regularly on the upright bass.
In Washington DC, John became the house bassist for the Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra led by Joe Herrera and Brad Linde, including rep concerts under Miho Hazama and Nathan Parker Smith. He recorded for Linde’s avant-garde/Americana project Team Players with Billy Wolfe, Aaron Quinn and Deric Dickens, and played alongside David McDonald (Airmen of Note), Kevin McDonald (US Navy Commodores), Marty Nau, Anthony Pirog, and others.
In Leeds, John was the bassist and MD for the Leeds University Union Big Band, including performances at the North Sea Jazz Festival and on ITV. He performed regularly with stalwarts of the Northern England scene including Steve Hanley, Martin Longhawn and Ben Lowman.
John has arranged extensively for big bands, worked at Sibelius, and served as a copyist for the 9 to 5 UK tour. He is an accordionist, and played synth and guitar for the now-defunct Neon Kicks.
- Trevor Mires/Nathaniel Cross project with Sam Leak, Pat Levett, Tom Hancock
- With Matt Anderson, Martin Longhawn, Steve Hanley (more videos in this post)
- Leeds University Big Band at North Sea Jazz Festival
- IN THE SHED!
- Trailer for Smells Like Team Spirit (Team Players) (buy it)
- Selection from All-American (Team Players) (buy it)
- Wrapped Up (AJ Brown) (buy it)
- Selection from Now & Again (AJ Brown)
- Studio demos recorded with George Shilling by now-defunct Neon Kicks, with John playing synth and guitar: Starlet, Rewind.
Arrangements and transcriptions
John has arranged for big band and smaller groups in a variety of styles. His work has been performed by Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra, Morgan Brothers Big Band, Leeds University Union Big Band, and others. He also creates custom arrangements for amateur or school ensembles which may require unusual instrumentation or a careful balance of difficulty levels.
- Under the sea: from The Little Mermaid. “Ariel, listen to me…”
- Baby on Board: from the episode of The Simpsons where Homer was in a barbershop quartet. Originally arranged for big band and 4-part barbershop, featuring the saxophone section on vocals. Here’s an extract of London’s Morgan Brothers Big Band playing an instrumental version:
John is an endorsing artist for Nordstrand Audio and uses three of their basses (J, fretless, 5 string P). His preferred strings are a years-old set of Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds.